May I let my voice be a clarion call. I will use these words for justice. I will use these words for truth. And humour.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

 

Highlights Magazine for Kids; Goofice; Whitebread Jesus is not Funny

 
S asked me why I laughed while reading slashdot. Somebody made a half-inane comment that got modded up -- its inanity was actually funny to me.

So I explained the goofus and gallant reference, and she said she didn't read Highlights ever because it was a Christian magazine, or so she understood. Because I didn't recall a whit of overt Xtianity in Highlights, I did a search on "highlights christian magazine" and came up with the link at the title above. Interesting how studying and seminary life has turned my endeavors halfway into a monomania....

And,... it's interesting that the godsfriends.org article was written by a guy who was in the musical group Semisonic, an offshoot of one of my favorite bands, Trip Shakespeare. Hmm.

lyrics: Mom's gonna fix it all soon. Mom's coming round to put it back the way it oughtta be. - Tool

colors: black gold, yellow
speaking of black gold, is it strange for me to notice unnecessary lights on in the house, or in other places, and yell out "cheney!" as i turn them off? the connection is simple -- think back to the closed-door energy meetings at the beginning of the bush admin's first term, and the fact that none of the people in the oil/energy industry ask anyone to conserve anymore like we were asked to in the 70's energy crunch, unless its peak air-conditioning season. when i have a desktop computer on burning 300 watts, or a light on burning only 60, if it's not necessary, i see dick cheney's grimacing smile counting the money rolling in for him and his buddies, and i just have to do my part by shutting it off. "cheney!"

mood: overwhelmed. just found out the skinny on a whole bunch of hoops to jump through for school.

chant/prayer/mantra: authenticity is ugly. ugly is authentic.


pax hominibus,
joel

Comments:
Cheney! I love it, and will pass that on and start using it. Ugh - jumping through hoops for school sucks. But it will be worth it in the long run. Hopefully you can take a zen approach to it and just go through them one at a time.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free page hit counter