May I let my voice be a clarion call. I will use these words for justice. I will use these words for truth. And humour.

Friday, July 1, 2005

 

"Here, have a leash..."

This short story by Fyodor Dostoevsky rocks my world.
 
It's pretty dense, but worth the read. 



Peace,
Joel

Man is tormented by no greater anxiety
than to find someone quickly to whom he can
hand over that gift of freedom
with which the ill-fated creature is born.
But only one who can appease their conscience
can take over their freedom....

Thou didst choose what was utterly beyond
the strength of men, acting as though
Thou didst not love them at all --
Thou who didst come to give Thy life for them!
Instead of taking possession of men's freedom,
Thou didst increase it, and burdened the spiritual kingdom
of mankind with its sufferings for ever.

-Dostoevsky, The Grand Inquisitor

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free page hit counter