May I let my voice be a clarion call. I will use these words for justice. I will use these words for truth. And humour.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

 

Front Piece Quotes from "Faith of a Heretic" by Walter Kaufmann

Jeremiah: They have healed the wound of my people lightly, saying "Peace, peace," when there is no peace.

Kant: All the interest of my reason (speculative as well as practical) comes together in the following three questions:
1. What can I know?
2. What ought I to do?
3. What may I hope?

(from Critique of Pure Reason)


Whitman: Piety and conformity to them that like,
Peace, obesity, allegiance, to them that like...
I am he who walks the States with a barb'd tongue,
questioning everyone I meet,
Who are you that wanted only to be told
what you knew before?
Who are you that wanted only a book to join you
in your nonsense?

(from By Blue Ontario's Shore)


Nietsche: Is it really so difficult simply to accept... what is considered truth in the circle of one's relatives and of many good men, and what, moreover, really comforts and elevates man Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one's feelings and even one's conscience, proceeding often without any consolation... Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire.

(from Letter, 1865)


Tolstoy: I do not believe my faith to be the one indubitable truth for all time, but I see no other that is plainer, clearer, or answers better to all the demands of my reason and my heart; should I find such a one I shall at once accept it... But I can no more return to that from which with such suffering I have escaped, than a flying bird can re-enter the egg shell from which it has emerged. "He who begins by loving Christianity better than truth, will proceed by loving his own sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself (his own peace) better than all." said Coleridge.

(Reply to Edict of Excommunication)


Wittgenstein: What is the use of studying philosphy if... (See #10)

Sartre: If a writer has chosen to be silent... (See #16)


I'm going off to seminary soon, and am reading this "Faith of a Heretic" book. I need to return it to the church library before I go. EOM

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free page hit counter