May I let my voice be a clarion call. I will use these words for justice. I will use these words for truth. And humour.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

 

Gender-neutral pronouns

Today at our school's graduation ceremony (i'm not graduating yet for a couple more years), we had a speaker by the name of Leslie Feinberg, author of Stone Butch Blues. Somehow in the process of poking around at the Internet, I ended up at the page linked from the title. None of them really glides off the tongue, and its difficult to get a new word that "sounds" like a third-person possessive, for example, but takes up its own unique namespace. By that I mean words like "Hir" (pronounced here) sounds odd. "Ghe" (pronounced like the J in "Jacques", and a word I coined in an article last year) sounds kind of like a third-person pronoun, but must be pronounced kind of carefully so it doesn't just sound like "she". At the same time, when one is trying to be careful to pronounce the word correctly, they tend to give it extra enunciation, emphasis, or different timing and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

lyrics:

colors:

mood:

chant/prayer/mantra:


pax hominibus,
joel

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free page hit counter