May I let my voice be a clarion call. I will use these words for justice. I will use these words for truth. And humour.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

 

Stapled to the Wall in my Hostel in Salt Lake City

.

Here is the Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints document "A Proclamation to the World." It pretty much has their definition of one-man, one-woman marriage, along with some stuff about our Pre-mortal, Mortal, and Eternal states of existence. It was written in 1995, and seems to be a strong antecedent for the Mormons' push for Prop 8 in California, and other anti-gay-marriage efforts elsewhere.

For me, this quote is the one that nullifies the whole document because it stands so strongly against reason, and even stands out as causing a visceral reaction: "We declare that God's commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force." Overpopulate much?

It's stapled to the wall of the common room in this hostel. They also have a cardboard cutout of Aragorn, a cutout of Obi Wan Kenobi, and a knight's suit made out of thin tin, that looks like it would fit somebody about 5' 8".

I am here in SLC with 5000+ Unitarian Universalists for UU General Assembly. Perhaps more comments later on that. For now, just know that I have Obi Wan and Aragorn for housemates.

pax hominibus,
agape to all,
joel

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free page hit counter