May I let my voice be a clarion call. I will use these words for justice. I will use these words for truth. And humour.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

 

Welcome to Oakland!

music: johnny cash, i walk the line

colors: oil slick black

mood: sour

thoughts: so it was raining today and steph had a thirty pound bag of books and stuff with her so i drove downtown to the bart stop to pick her up. as i drove up, she was waiting at the bus stop. i pulled up, she got in, and we were ready to go within about 10-12 seconds. I wasn't parking or even standing, but had stopped for only ten seconds as my wife was getting in and was about to drive off when I got slammed with a 'Welcome to Oakland' ticket by an officer who was, barring an incredible coincidence, fishing for $250, instead of stopping rapists and muggers.

And of course the situation was further complicated because we haven't still resolved the issue with the DMV and my wife's late ex-husband. He was asking for proof of insurance cards and calling in the Vehicle ID Number, and all that.... One tiny saving grace is that just maybe the Oakland police are equal opportunity and don't racially profile (as much) for DWB. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking though.

I guess somebody's gotta be the sucker that helps pay for our bus system, but it sure feels like crap to realize that you just spent $17/second. I guess the letter of the law rules the day here.

Sad, because I had stopped by the guitar store briefly after class today to look at lefty guitars, and found one I liked well enough for far less than that, but knew we really didn't have the money for it. C'est la vie, I suppose.

One more strike against using cars around here. Did I mention we were planning on selling it? Then of course, I'd have to carry a thirty pound bag a mile and risk further scoliosis.

On the bright side, I really did enjoy playing the left handed guitar, with both right and left hand, and realized that it feels incredibly more natural to bend the skinny strings up away from the body than toward it. Perhaps this cop's message was that I should stick to the basics.

pax hominibus,
joel

"And so, Theodore Donald Karabotsos, in accordance with what we think your dying wishes might well have been, we commit your final mortal remains to the bosom of the Pacific Ocean"

Comments:
Wow, that blows. Sorry to hear about your run-in with The Man, but yeah just think of it as further incentive to get rid of the car. And to smash capitolism.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free page hit counter