May I let my voice be a clarion call. I will use these words for justice. I will use these words for truth. And humour.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

 

Dragons and Dove

Today I heard this song "Girl in the War" by Josh Ritter, on 91.3 while driving to pick up dinner.

I really like the imagery the lyrics call up.

from commenter Saltogurl: 

[regarding the Boynton Chapel in Door County, WI] in an archway, in front of the chapel one side there is a painting of Peter, on the other Paul.  Peter is holding two keys  one to the Kingdom, another to the chapel.  Above them, carved into the wood archway, is a dove and on each side of it dragons.  All I could think was a) "pretend the dove from above is a dragon and your feet are on fire".  I have never heard of a dragon next to a dove in any setting but apparently the dragon is a sign of protection in Norse mythology, and the dove is a sign of peace in a lot of western cultures.

See the post just before this one and the one about "the first death" and note that I've been in a state of confusion between wanting peace and preparing for war.   Still wondering where the war will play out, and if it's inside, when it will die down.

pax hominibus,
agape to all,
joel

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free page hit counter