May I let my voice be a clarion call. I will use these words for justice. I will use these words for truth. And humour.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

 

Using "The First Death" to Begin a War

The following quote is astoundingly important to my theology of war, and I hope to build it into an album or EP at some point if I can make the time:
“It is the first death which infects everyone with the feelings of being threatened,” wrote Elias Canetti. “It is impossible to overrate the part played by the first dead man in the kindling of wars. Rulers who want to unleash war know very well that they must procure or invent a first victim. It needs not be anyone of particular importance, and can even be someone quite unknown. Nothing matters except his death; and it must be believed that the enemy is responsible for this. Every possible cause of his death is suppressed except one: his membership of the group to which one belongs oneself.”
I'm hoping this war will be quick, like a one-match fire.  But it probably won't.  We'll see.
pax hominibus, agape to all, joel

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free page hit counter