May I let my voice be a clarion call. I will use these words for justice. I will use these words for truth. And humour.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

 

another art piece


This one I've always called Grievous Diffidence, for lack of a better title. One friend asked me in email after one of my art postings to add a little of my thoughts regarding the pieces. I guess I'll start with this one.

This was one of the first pieces of art that I ever did outside of art class. I only took drawing 1 and 2 -- don't try and tell me how much it shows because I won't listen. :)

When I did it, I was just compelled to do it. To me, it represented the already weary traveler who sees a tunnel that needs to be passed through, knowing (or believing) full well what will be on the other side. The diffidence is the 'not wanting to go through with it' part of the piece. Our little subject in the painting isn't exactly grinning. Now that I know a bit more of the world, and have seen the other side of the tunnel (to be shown in the Point of Entry series), I'm not sure if there are words to describe the ambivalence I feel related to the juxtaposition of the beautiful visions emblazoned in my mind, and the ugly in the world that can't be ignored. Anyway.... there's the art.


lyrics:
I live like this 'cause I like it
And seen too much to pretend
You can't ignore the beauty in the things that you love
Like you can't stand the hatred and the lies
Have you always hunted with your hands?
Can you show me what you've done?
Have you always hunted with your hands?
If you catch it, can you kill it?

from Steelworker, by Big Black

colors: transparent.

mood: diffident? but much more knowledgeable about why.

chant/prayer/mantra: uh oh, i'm in trouble. i'm up too late and need to get up really early tomorrow morning.


pax hominibus,
agape to all,
joel

Labels: ,


Comments:
I hear you about that difference in vision and what's around us. I like that your traveler can see the light at the end of the tunnel though. At least his journey isn't through completely dark passages. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free page hit counter