May I let my voice be a clarion call. I will use these words for justice. I will use these words for truth. And humour.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

 

Great Lectures at Unitarian Universalist General Assembly 2010

.
A list of all available videos from UU GA is here.

A session from a truly inclusive humanist about the connection between folklore, religion, and raising children is here.
"My kids know what I believe and why, and I think that's important. I've had people say to me every once in a while, 'I really don't want to indoctrinate my kids so they don't even know what I believe.' That's a mistake! I don't think we need to hide ourselves from our kids. You are not indoctrinating as long as you then turn around to them and make it clear what you want them to do.

My kids will know that I invited them to turn over every rock and question every assumption. And that's all I would ever ask of a theistic parent--that they share the experience of their faith and say 'Here's what I believe with all my heart, it's very important to me, and I think it's true, but these are things each person has to decide for herself.

And I want you to talk to people who have different beliefs so you can make up your own mind. You can change your mind a hundred times. There's no penalty for getting it wrong, and I will love you no less if you end up believing differently from me."

Here is an excellent session on the past and future of our UU theologies by former UUA president John Buehrens, and Starr King President Rebecca Parker, one of my favorite professors. There is also an article on Earth as Paradise at UU World magazine by Rebecca here.

The Ware Lecture this year was delivered by former Vice-Presidential candidate Winona LaDuke.

Some great handouts on personal and institutional discernment available here.



pax hominibus,
agape to all,
joel

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free page hit counter